Some categories under the current curriculum and the new curriculum may have the same name but different criteria. The same application form may be used for both.
- Current curriculum: See the General Education Requirements page of the undergraduate catalog.
- Volunteer Core curriculum: See draft of the catalog copy for the Volunteer Core Curriculum.
SS Proposal Form Revised.v6 (Word Document)
Instructions for Vol Core Proposals
To submit a proposal, please complete the application and save it as a single PDF file that also contains your syllabus and a sample of at least one significant assignment for the course. Save your PDF file by the course name, category, and date (e.g. engl101WC080921).
The PDF should be uploaded AND emailed to the General Education Committee.
If you are submitting a revision, please also include a brief written “Response to Reviewers” explaining how the requested revisions have been addressed. This “Response to Reviewers” should be included in your single PDF file and the file should be save by course name, category, and the revision and date (e.g. engl101WCrevision050120).
Your submission will be a single merged PDF including:
- Vol Core Submission Form
- At least one significant assignment
- Response to Reviewers (if it is a resubmission)
Tips on creating single PDF files
If you can put all of your word files in a single word document and then save it as a PDF file, that will be the easiest approach. PDFs are created by going to Print🡪 PDF🡪save as PDF. If you need to merge multiple PDFs, they can be merged through various tools (such as Adobe, sodapdf.com, or pdf2go.com).
NOTE: AFTER YOU SUBMIT A PROPOSAL, YOU WILL RECEIVE AN EMAIL LETTING YOU KNOW IT HAS BEEN RECEIVED. If you do not receive that confirmation email within 72 hours, your proposal was not successfully submitted and you need to submit it again. If you continue to have difficulties submitting, please email us to let us know.
You will also receive emails as your proposal moves through the review process. The review process begins with a General Education Subcommittee approval and then goes to the General Education Committee for approval. From there it goes to the Undergraduate Council for approval and finally to the Faculty Senate. Until you receive notification that your course proposal has been approved by the Faculty Senate, it is not eligible to be listed as a Vol Core course.
You may track your submitted proposal through the review process.
Rubric for Student Assessment
Social Sciences Rubric for Student Assessment
- Carrie Ann Stephens, Herbert College of Agriculture (Co-chair)
- Robin Anderson, College of Education, Health, and Human Sciences
- Ken Baker, Haslam College of Business
- Alex Bentley, College of Arts and Sciences
- Rosalind Hackett, College of Arts and Sciences
- Christy Hickman, College of Social Work
- Jeff Larsen, College of Arts and Sciences
- Isobel Muñoz Solange, College of Arts and Sciences
- Anthony Nownes, College of Arts and Sciences
- Jon Walton, Herbert College of Agriculture
See the Volunteer Core Requirements page of the undergraduate catalog.