NOTE: Please refer to the undergraduate catalog for specific requirements for programs on a particular catalog year. This page is intended to be used by university administrators engaged in curriculum development.
- Proposals for the next catalog year are due by October 15.
- Proposals for subsequent catalogs may be submitted at any time, but no later than October 15 of the year prior to the effective catalog year.
- Proposals under the current curriculum will be accepted until October 15, 2019.
Current General Education Curriculum
Refer to the General Education Requirements page of the undergraduate catalog for criteria and approved courses. The current curriculum will be in effect until the end of the 2020-2021 academic year.
- Some categories under the current curriculum and the new curriculum may have the same name but different criteria. The same application form may be used for both. (See list under New General Education Curriculum, below.)
- Written Communication
- Oral Communication
- Quantitative Reasoning
- Arts and Humanities
- Cultures and Civilization
- Natural Sciences
- Social Sciences
Volunteer Core General Education Curriculum
In spring 2017, the University of Tennessee, Knoxville, approved a proposal to redesign the general education curriculum. The new Volunteer Core curriculum will take effect fall 2021.
Application forms are found on the individual category pages. Some categories under the current curriculum and the new curriculum may have the same name but different criteria. The same form may be used for both. Completed proposals should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org (copy the administrative officer having primary responsibility for undergraduate curriculum in the course’s host college to notify them of the submission). New courses must be approved at the College level prior to General Education approval, but proposals may be submitted concurrently in order to ensure sufficient time for review.
Guidelines for Revising and Removing General Education Courses
General Education Assessment Document